The UPCAR is an autonomous apex state organisation registered as a society, which plans, co-ordinates and promotes research, education, training and transfer of technology for advancement of agriculture and allied sciences.
The UPCAR was established on June 14, 1989 with its headquarters at Lucknow. Over the years it has developed expertise to find out solutions on the emerging problems related to agriculture and allied sectors in the state with the active co-ordination of the State Agricultural Universities (SAUs), ICAR and CSIR Institutes located in the state. It has also established strong linkages with Government Departments and other institutions engaged in the fields of agriculture, horticulture, animal husbandry, fisheries, sericulture, environment, natural resource management and allied disciplines.
The Agriculture Production Commissioner, Government of U.P. is the Chairman of the UPCAR. Its principal officer is the Director General. The General Body is the supreme authority of UPCAR, headed by the Chairman of UPCAR. Its members include the Vice- Chancellors of State Agriculture Universities, Secretaries of Agriculture, Horticulture, Animal Husbandry, Finance and Planning, and Directors of Agriculture, Horticulture and Animal Husbandry; representative of the ICAR, renowned experts on principle food crops of the State and the farmers with Director General, UPCAR being the member secretary.
The Management Committee is the Chief Executive body of the Council for making policy decisions. The Committee is headed by the Chairman of UPCAR and is represented by Director General, UPCAR, the Vice- Chancellors of State Agriculture Universities; Secretaries of Agriculture, Horticulture, Animal Husbandry, Sericulture, Planning and Finance; Director of Agriculture, Animal Husbandry, Project Co-ordinator, DASP, ICAR representative (not less than DDG level) with Secretary of the Council as member secretary.
The Director General is the Chief Executive and technical head of the UPCAR. For effective working, the Council is comprised of six technical and an Administrative wings. A Deputy Director General heads each technical wing, whereas the Secretary of the Council manages administrative and Accounts wing. Supporting staff strengthens all the wings. The technical wings are as follows:
· Natural Resource Management and Agricultural Engineering
· Crops an Horticulture
· Agriculture Economics, Statistics and Informatics
· Animal Husbandry, Dairy and Fisheries
· Agriculture Education and Transfer of Technology
· Research Project Management and Co-ordination
· To function as the “Technical Advisory Body” to the Government of U.P. on matters relating to agriculture policy planning, priority setting with reference to agriculture research and education, and act as a “Think Tank” for policy and long term perspective planning.
· To facilitate state funding for institutions engaged in agricultural research and education.
· To facilitate and fund problem oriented, inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary research in priority areas.
· To facilitate and promote coordination of education and research in agriculture (including Horticulture, Animal Husbandry, Dairying, Fisheries, Sericulture etc.) amongst the SAUs and all other state funded academic and research institutions.
· To foster and promote harmony and healthy linkages between research centres and the line departments and network with them effectively to aid research and technology development relevant to production and development systems.
· To act as repository and clearinghouse for all information on agriculture research and technologies generated.
· To facilitate interaction and networking with national and international research organizations like ICAR, CSIR, DBT, DST, ICSSR, ICFER, CGIAR institutions, etc. for collaborative research, information sharing, skill upgradation, and funding of the state agriculture research system.
· To promote consultancy arrangements in research, training, education and information between NGOs, private sector and Government institutions.
· Co-ordination of Agricultural Research, Education and Extension Activities in the State.
· Strengthening of agricultural research, education and extension activities of Uttar Pradesh.
· Co- ordination of technology generation components of DASP and UPSLRP (World Bank Funded Projects).
· Prioritisation of activities for agricultural research and development in different Agro-climatic zones of the State through developing the Strategic Research and Extension Plan of different districts of the State.
· Funding from Sodh Nidhi for the strengthening of location-specific research in different Agro-Climatic zones of the State.
· Organising workshops, conferences, seminars, symposia, brain storming sessions and group meetings to chalk out strategies and prospects of agricultural research, education and extension in the State.
· Reviewing of Variety Release Proposals submitted by the SAUs and other research organisations to Department of Agriculture/ Horticulture as well as co-ordinating the preparation of package of practices of different crops with Department of Agriculture.
· Establishing linkages with International, National Institutes, SAUs and Line Departments for the strengthening of agricultural research and transfer of technology.
· Development of concept papers and policy papers on various issues related to agriculture sector of the State.
· Evaluation of various programmes implemented for development of agriculture in the State and formulation of strategies for sustainable agriculture.